Saturday, December 12, 2009

Living as simply as possible

My life is fairly complicated, so I try to balance that by making it simple where I can.

I don't own anything that can't be thown on the floor. None of my clothing is dry clean ownly, none of it is stylish, and all of it is sturdy so it lasts for quite a while. I don't own a fancy car that I need to worry about getting dinged, but it is fairly new since I don't want the complications brought on by owning an undependable car. I spend less than I make because having cash in the bank means I don't need to worry about what checks can clear when. I buy everything in cash because seeing the money disappear makes it easier to track how much I am spending.

Like most things I take a long term approach to simple. It would be simpler in the short term to ignore the change oil light, but ultimately life is simpler if you do things when they are needed rather than ignore them until it is too late.

Simple doesn't mean primative, I own a nice house and use the heating and air a lot because being comfortable is less wearing than being too hot or too cold. I own several computers because the internet provides a cheap and easy way to learn.

Simple doesn't mean lazy, as I noted above putting things off often complicates your life in the long run making it counter productive.

Simple does mean I miss out on having the latest gadgets and the coolest toys. And without stylish clothes and a fancy car I miss out on being the center of attention. But not having to worry about how to pay a massive credit card debt or what would happen if my house was robbed more than makes up for this.

No comments: