Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cheap sex and expensive promises

The title of this entry is a line in a book I am reading. It reminded me it was time to say something.

It may seem odd coming from a man, but I have no interest in sex with a woman I don't care about. To me sex and caring go together. Many men disagree, but I rarely concern myself with what others believe.

If two people who don't care for each other want to have sex that is fine with me. I don't think that sex without emotion is evil or wrong, just wrong for me. To me it is about intimacy and sharing with someone you care about. If it was just about exercise I would go for a walk.

As you can imagine this attitude is somewhat inconvenient. There are times when I regret that I feel the way I do. I see others hooking up for one night stands and it looks like they are having fun. But then again I see people on roller coasters having fun and you couldn't get me on one of those things. We are the way we are. This is the way I am.

Of course some pay a price for their moments of fun. Social diseases, unwanted pregnancies, and such are sometimes a consequence. But we are the way we are and as long as people are aware of the dangers we shouldn't stand in the way of their happiness.

Still, there are times when I regret the way I am. I suppose we all sometimes regret the way we are.

2 comments:

Misti said...

Yeah, there are times when we all regret the way we are. I could spend a lot of effort beating myself up for who I am, but I found that it made me even less happy than my mistakes had, so I stopped. As you say, we are what we are. I would rather use the energy looking for new kinds of fun rather than feeling bad about some of my less ideal characteristics. Of course, I am aware of those and I try to mitigate them, but I refuse to beat myself up anymore.

I'm glad you don't beat yourself up (too often) either.

Unknown said...

No, but sometimes being me can be very inconvenient.