Monday, November 15, 2010

People are confusing

I don't have a lot of friends but the friends I do have are wonderful. About half of my friends are women and many of my casual acquaintances are women. When talking to them I try very hard to remember to look them in the eye. This is difficult for me because I am not visually oriented and tend to look over a person's shoulder or at anything that is moving. Unfortunately the moving bits are usually breasts and it makes women uncomfortable, so I try very hard and even ask my close friends once in a while how I am doing. Yes, that is as awkward as it sounds.

I have always treated women as people and don't understand the attitudes of some men that only see them as sex objects or something even worse. Given the obvious evidence that women are at least as smart as men and do in fact have personalities I don't understand how anybody can maintain this attitude. But it is clear that people have an amazing ability to not see what they don't want to see.

One of the many things that mystifies me is the fact that women actually marry these men. Why would a woman marry somebody who doesn't treat them as an equal? Why would you stay with somebody who abuses you? What attracts women to these men in the first place? I have no clue. It amazes me that women put up with this, but again they may be using that amazing ability to not see what they don't want to see.

There are many things I don't understand in the world. But the areas I do understand I try to do something about. My attempts to keep from annoying my women friends is one small area I can do something about. Of course some days are am better at that than others. On days when the over endowed woman a work wears a plunging neckline I have to avoid talk to her. I said I try, I didn't say I was a saint.

No comments: