Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tired of Michigan

I have lived in Michigan my whole life and I am getting rather tired of it. Every 10 years we have a recession and Michigan gets it first, gets it worst, and is the last to recover. Plus we have very cold winters, and as I get older I like winter less and less.

I don't think I would mind it as much if all the jobs weren't clustered around Detroit. I am more of a small town person and metro-Detroit is huge. A few years ago I lived out in the country and commuted, but when my wife passed I had to move closer to work to better take care of my son. Being a single parent with a one hour commute just doesn't work.

So what am I going to do about it? Nothing for now. With the recession in full gear and house prices down I can't afford to move. But I have decided that the next time I move it will be out of state. I don't know when it will be or where I will move to, but it will definately be out of Michigan.

I have considered moving out of state several times before but have always stayed because of family. But as my family gets older I see less and less of them. Some have died, some have moved out of state themselves, and some have become reclusive. So with less family to consider the only thing I have to worry about is my son. Depending on when the move happens and where he is with his life then (high school, college, or working) I will either move closer to him or he will move with me.

No comments: