Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Swear words

Close on the heals of acronyms comes swear words. I rarely swear. Not for any particular religious reason but because the point of rude words is to express a negative emotion and I find I can do that very well with tone of voice or ordinary words. Actually I find it funny to hear some people swear because similar to acronyms the words themselves have lost their original meaning. If you reconstruct what they have said with the literal meaning of the words they are using you realize they are speaking total nonsense. Emotially loaded nonsense, but nonsense none the less.

2 comments:

Misti said...

I also find that swear words are limiting. There are such extraordinary words for describing ones exact response...why choose an unthinking, reflexive one?

That said, I am getting lazy in my old age and swear more than I wish I did.

Misti said...

Awfully quiet over here...