Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Stupid insomnia

Another sleepless night. This post will be another bunch of miscellaneous thoughts. Sorry, but all I can do at 1AM.

Prostitution - I am not a big fan of prostitution. I have never used the service and really hate the economic realities that cause some people to go into this. On the other hand there are some people that get into it and see no problem with it. They like the money and don't mind the work. I think it is time we legalize this, although I am still not a fan.

Ignorance - I read a recent article that said many adults (including a number of seniors) don't know much about sex. I find this astounding since there are tons of books about the subject and the internet is full of information both good and bad. Given the availability of information I don't understand how people can remain ignorant on a subject they are interested in. But I have always been a reader and have learned how to find the information I wanted even before the internet. Maybe it is something these people never learned, maybe it is a mindset. It still amazes me though.

Communication - I have read a number of articles about how couples don't communicate well. We really need to educate people better. Communication is a basic part of any relationship. These people need to learn how to talk to each other. There should be no taboo subjects in a relationship.

Reading - I read a lot. On Sunday I finally started reading some of the H.P. Lovecraft horror stories. I am not a horror story reader but I have found so many references to Lovecraft's work in science fiction and other books that I felt I had to read it. So I bought a collection of the stories for the kindle and have started reading. The stories are well written and interesting. I am now starting to understand the references I have seen over the years.

Work - I feel I have hit a plateau at work. My skill level is beyond what is generally needed at the company and the work isn't challenging. Unfortunately moving elsewhere isn't easy right now and probably wouldn't make much difference anyway. There just isn't much call for advanced database design in an ordinary business and businesses like Google's massive search database is way beyond my skill (and interest).

Enough for now. Time to try sleeping again.

No comments: