Monday, May 11, 2009

Argh

I was born a natural problem solver. It is the one ability I have true excellence in. I am happiest when I am given a huge mess and asked to clean it up. The reason I got into computers in the first place was because it was all problem solving.

But right now with Michigan's economy being in the dumper businesses are dealing with problems far beyond my ability to solve like what if our largest customer goes bankrupt, and they don't have the time to deal with the issues that I could possibly solve like giving them a computerized knowledgebase or redesigning their accounting system. My current place of employment has cut IT staff to such low levels we are having a hard time supporting the computer systems we have in place now, so even if they wanted an innovative solution we don't have the staff to deliver it.

What does a natural problem solver do when all the problems are beyond his ability to solve? He sits and gets very frustrated. Lately I have been exploring the very edges of theoretical database design, object/relational databases, design theory, etc. But it isn't the same. I need a problem to solve. Of course due to work agreements and conflict of interest issues that problem would have to come from my employer and that isn't going to be happening soon.

It is all very frustrating.

No comments: