Sunday, January 29, 2012

Augmentation

I read a lot of science fiction. One of the common things that pop up in many stories is enhancing peoples strength, speed, reaction time, and mental abilities. For me augmenting peoples mental abilities is the most fascinating. Contrary to popular belief people use 100% of their brain. Sometimes they use it badly but they use it. If we could tie a vast library of knowledge directly into our brains we could do more. Of course having access to information and being able to use it are two very different things but still imagine how life would be different if you had direct access to all the information you could ever want. Being able to quickly look up traffic laws. Being able to do math in your head because your extended memory had a built in calculator.

Of course I wouldn't want to be the first guinea pig to get the system. And I suspect any hardware breakdown would send the user directly insane. But still it would be cool. We need cool. The world needs cool.

But if I can't have direct brain augmentation I will settle for a very smart robot that follows me around all day and answers questions. That would be okay I guess.

1 comment:

Misti said...

I call mine "Google"