Saturday, October 15, 2011

An interesting problem

I recently found the website of Derek Sivers. He has some interesting things to say both in writing and on video. Nothing earth shattering but interesting anyway. Watching the videos I noticed that he is one of those perpetually happy and upbeat types of people. On his page describing books he likes he indicates this comes from his personal philosophy being related to the stoics and recommends a book on stoicism. For the first time in my life I am afraid to read a book. Not because it might be bad but because it might show that I have been living my life wrong. It is an interesting problem. If I read the book and decide I have wasted my life so far I can attempt to make my life better, but what if I can't? Then my whole life will be a waste. If I don't read the book I will just be hiding my head in the sand, hoping to ignore reality and not improve myself.

I have to decide one way or the other, not deciding is of course by default deciding not to read the book. Should I continue in ignorance or should I learn and maybe be disappointed? I will have to think a bit.

2 comments:

Misti said...

I'll be interested to see what you decide. What book is it?

Unknown said...

The book is "A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy - by William Irvine". I looked at some of the reviews, some think it is great and some horrible.