Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Disappointed

I like to help people. I do it a lot. But lately I have started to rethink this because I don't feel that others appreciate what I do. They say thanks and all but nothing else. There are no offers to help me in return. My good friends help and I appreciate that, and I help them in return. But I am feeling under-appreciated by the the lesser friends, acquaintances, and strangers that I help.

Perhaps I should cut back on how much I help people. I like helping people and have always hoped that the people I helped would in turn help others, but lately people are acting very self centered and I am starting to think all of my help is just being wasted on selfish or self centered people. I really don't want to stop helping, but I also don't want to help people who aren't going to help others in return.

I don't have an answer, just disappointment.

2 comments:

Misti said...

Yeah, I can absolutely understand your disappointment. Yeah, I think it might be a good idea to be more stingy with your help.

I have found that a better policy -- to give only what I want to give for its own sake and not at all, otherwise. Like you, I enjoy helping, but I really don't like being taken for granted, either.

People are always self centered, Mark. It's a species trait.

Unknown said...

I am not sure it is a species trait, or perhaps some people get beyond it. Either way I am disappointed.